She knows the importance of a professional headshot.
People often link headshots with movie stars and models. However, professional headshots are also commonly used for business marketing and social media platforms. It’s important to have a visual brand that presents you in the best light, with an up-to-date look.
Heck, even I bit the bullet recently and sat in front of someone else’s camera for my new headshot.
Leslie needed an updated headshot. She also knew that an image from a cellphone camera or a friend’s point and shoot just wouldn’t cut it. So she reached out to me to do a session in downtown Norfolk.
Why should you have a professional headshot done?
It gives your business a personal touch. People want to see a photo of the person with whom they’re doing business.
It enhances your biography page on your social media. Because your biography or “about” page usually gets the most web traffic, it’s critical that it includes a headshot. When people log on to a bio page, they want to connect a business with a face.
It’s useful for market and branding. Branding is much more than just a catchy logo or tagline. It’s also an emotional tie that you make with your customers. In other words, your face is your company brand.
Here are some pointers for you when planning your headshot session:
– Hire a professional makeup artist/hair stylist before the session. You might know how to do makeup/hair but a pro knows how to do it for a photo session.
– If you need to tweak your style, hire a professional stylist to go shopping with you to pick out a few outfits that would be flattering in a headshot.
– Select one or two looks to be photographed.
– Plan on 30-45 minutes for the session.
– Know what kind of look you are going for. Business? Casual? Artistic? In a studio? On location? Plan it out with the photographer before the day of the session.
– It’s never one and done. People change over time. They get older, lose weight, change hairstyles, get glasses/contacts, grow/shave beards, et cetera. Headshots should be done once a year or two years to keep up with the changes.
Invest in a new headshot today; it could do wonders for your business/social media.
Mark Knopp is a Virginia Beach-based portrait photographer covering the Hampton Roads community and beyond. Contact him at mknopp1(at)cox.net with any questions you might have or to book your session today.